This is a wonderfully moist cake that has the deep flavours of our speciality coffee with just a hint of caramel and the delectable crunch of caramelised salted walnuts.
This recipe would also work well if you double up the recipe below to create 4 tiers. For those special occasions and the coffee lovers in your life!
- 170g butter or margarine
- 170g coconut sugar
- 3 large free range eggs
- 170g self raising flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp Mara coffee ( freshly ground or made using your espresso machine. I used Mara Coffee's Rwanda Kinini variety)
- 1 tsp coffee extract
- 2 tbsp cherry jam
- 2 sandwich cake tins - 8 inch
You will need for the icing:
- 225g icing sugar
- 100g butter or margarine
- 1 tsp brewed Mara coffee
You will need for the caramelised salted walnuts:
- 100g sugar
- 60g walnut halves
- 1 large pinch of salt
- Cream the butter or margarine and sugar together
- Add in the eggs one by one beating in well between each addition
- Add in the Mara coffee and coffee extract and mix well
- Sift in the flour and baking powder
- Beat well until you have a light fluffy batter the colour of caramel! Ummm delish!
- Spread the cake batter evenly into 2 “8”inch cake tins and bake for 25 mins
- Once ready take out and cool for at least 30 mins .
- Beat together the butter or margarine, icing sugar and Mara coffee until light and creamy. Set aside until needed.
Now to make the caramelised salted walnuts.
- Heat the sugar until dissolved and a pale amber colour
- Take off the heat and carefully and immediately add a large pinch of salt and the walnut halves
- Once mixed spread onto baking parchment to cool. You will need to work fast!
- Sandwich the sponge halves together with the cherry jam
- Spread the icing on the top of the cake and arrange your caramelised walnuts on top .
Voila! You are done and can enjoy your delicious cake with your favourite cup of coffee.
Watch this space for more recipes at home, until then, happy baking.